+ about me +

now:
feeling: The current mood of lexia02@hotmail.com at www.imood.com
loving: my wonderful new iPod
hating: nothing in particular
reading: "The Iliad"
listening: random songs on my iPod :D
watching: Troy
playing: Everquest, FF VII and my new Zelda game (thank you John muackmuacks!!)
wanting: to go shopping
craving: oreos
read more: about me

+ around my blog +

+ current
+ email me
+ blogskins
+ blogger

+ archives +

May 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004

+ favourite blogs +

+ Jonquille
+ inflatedego
+ Aloka
+ The Non-Adventures of Japaneezu Seijin
+ alexthegirl
+ Pinkified
+ Darknyte
+ Deep rambling thoughts of a blonde
+ Eiyaku Shimpo

+ links +

+ EverQuest
+ MoS Guild on VS (old)
+ MoS Guild on VS (new)
+ LOTR
+ Istad
+ Escaflowne Online
+ Orisinal
+ Keiji
+ Intuitivmedia
+ Blogskins
+ Be a vampire!
+ chanth.com
+ Games
+ CDJapan

+ fun stuff+



*HUGS* TOTAL! give pam more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

The WeatherPixie
Get your own smilies
e n t e r

Alexa/Female/21-25. Lives in Singapore, speaks English and Chinese. Eye color is brown. I am a dreamer. I am also skeptical. My interests are music and lots more.



My Garden Collection ^_^





If you are a member of the pixel train and you want to join the ride please send an email including your ticked number, wagon and site address. Click the first wagon if you want to learn more about the pixel train.
 want to join the ride?



 

Comments by: YACCS

Thursday, August 28, 2003 + Happy Teachers' Day +

Tomorrow will be a half day in school. YAY! :) We're celebrating Teachers' Day tomorrow, and next Monday will be a school holiday. Yippie long weekend! :)

It has been a 'tradition' that the newbies (new teachers) always put up an item of sorts during the celebration and this year is no different. We'll be doing a skit based on the RJC incident, however ours has a happy ending (of course). We're donning the school uniform too.... I don't think I kept mine from my student days. Even if I did, I doubt I'll still be able to wear it! *sniffle* Gone are the days of my 25" waistline... *sobsob*

So for 5 minutes or so I'm going to make a fool of myself on stage tomorrow morning. Well I guess things like that don't happen very often, and after all the more ridiculous and embarassing it is, the higher the entertainment value. I just hope I don't fall flat on my face whilst on stage, or trip and fall coming on/going off the stage. That would really be hilarious I'm sure. Sigh. :P Like I'm always telling my students, "Sigh... the things I do for you people..."

Apart from the prospect of total loss of face tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to the weekend ahead. It's just about the only time I get to be with my fiance. *sniff* It feels somewhat as if he's still serving his NS and we can only meet during the weekend. I wish he'd hurry up, graduate, get his butt out of Uni and move back home. And then I wish he'd hurry up and get a job which pays him big bucks (hahaha) so we can get married and get our own place. Then once my bond is up I can stay home and be a 'tai tai' (English translation: Rich housewife who passes time by spending money, going for facials, teas and gossiping). That would be a life full of luxury but devoid of personal fulfillment.

Back to the topic of Teachers' Day, I suppose it's nice but it's not what gives me - as a teacher - satisfaction. I think the best satisfaction that a teacher gets is when one interacts with one's students and are able to recognize what makes them unique. It isn't really about making sure they get good results or receiving presents from them. Perhaps I'm still new to the profession and speak idealistically but I feel that the joy in teaching comes from recognizing the raw potential that they possess and trying your best to nurture them. Perhaps I'm just lucky that I'm in a good institution where the students are mostly well behaved and sensible. It's a humbling and yet wonderful thing to be surrounded by so many distinctly different minds which are so full of potential.

It's very sad when a teacher merely wants students to do well just so their reputations as teachers (as well as the school ranking/reputation) is maintained/elevated. It's even worse when teachers are able to bear grudges against their students and remember them for their mistakes.

When I think back I wasn't even sure I really wanted to teach when I took up the scholarship. At that time all I knew was I wanted to read music at Uni and the teaching scholarship was the only way to go. I just sort of hoped that things would turn out fine in the end. While I can't claim myself to be a staunch Christian, time and again it's just amazing how things always somehow seem to fall into place. Even when the going is rough at first and I feel like I don't know why I have to go through it, at the end of it I think I'm a better person for it and realize how it has helped me. Truly things happen for a reason. And I feel really lucky that I'm starting to appreciate why I'm teaching. Happy Teachers' Day!


glittermissy @ 11:50 PM + + Permalink